Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Waiting Game

So I sent him the email. My alcoholic friend. I sent him a boundary-setting email. I had CoolGirl read it to make sure I was actually setting good boundaries and being healthy. She didn't like the first letter, which I kind of knew she wouldn't but it was kind of me puking my feelings out onto paper. She liked the second one. I feel good about the fact that I didn't rush into sending it. I felt as though this was a needed next step, and having him call helped me realize that I need to communicate now, because I can't step back into our relationship the way it's been in the past. I really have changed. I can't be the codependent friend anymore. I want and need to be healthy. I am mostly convinced now that I am being a good friend in addition to finally taking care of myself. I'm nervous about how he'll react. He might get really angry and cuss me out, or he might try to laugh it off and tell me I'm over-reacting. He might do a combo of the two. Or, there's a possibility that I will never hear from him again. I think the chance of the fourth scenario is fairly slim. I hate the waiting. But I'm surprisingly able to function and not freaking out too much. A sign of health or denial?

1 comment:

  1. Setting boundaries is a good idea and having someone double check it is even better. Good for you sadgirl I'm proud of ya and you should be proud too.

    --- Mike

    ReplyDelete